Gay couples may be more vulnerable as they do not have the same protection under the laws of every state as traditional couples. The same is true for LGBTQ+ laws within Santa Fe and Albuquerque. The guidance of an attorney who is well-versed in these issues becomes invaluable when seeking resolutions.
Gay property law, gay adoption law, custody, wills and critical medical decisions are all more difficult for gay couples.
Gay and Lesbian Rights Lawyer
When you have questions about gay family law, it’s important to speak with a gay and lesbian rights lawyer who is familiar with specific laws pertaining to gay couples in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, New Mexico. Everything, from marriage laws and parental concerns to estate planning, can be an issue and should be considered.
Although gay marriage equality is a reality in New Mexico, the laws across the United States can change. A same-sex family law attorney helps couples prepare for any eventuality and can draft important legal documents like:
- Powers of attorney
- Domestic partnership agreements
- Pre- and post-nuptial agreements
- Health care directives
Legal Issues that LGBTQ+ Couples Encounter
In Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe and Los Alamos, New Mexico, gay and lesbian legal rights are expertly represented by our Law Office. We are committed to providing effective legal representation to protect the rights of all couples in New Mexico. Our practice helps gay and lesbian couples work out family law isIn Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe and Los Alamos, New Mexico, gay and lesbian legal rights are expertly represented by our Law Office. We are committed to providing effective legal representation to protect the rights of all couples in New Mexico. Our practice helps gay and lesbian couples work out family law issues like:
- LGBTQ+ child custody – Custody issues involving children with LGBTQ+ parents; this may include physical and legal custody concerns, child support, visitation, and other related matters.
- LGBTQ+ divorce – Details and legal consequences of the separation or the dissolution of a marriage between LGBTQ+ couples; this may also include custody and property disputes.
- LGBTQ+ domestic partnership – The rights, benefits, and responsibilities included in the domestic partnerships between LGBTQ+ couples. Note that not all states recognize same-sex domestic partnerships.
- LGBTQ+ adoption – Adoption procedures, challenges, and opportunities for prospective and existing LGBTQ+ parents.
- LGBTQ+ domestic violence – Cases dealing with violence or harassment involving LGBTQ+ members of the family in a domestic setting.
Laws pertaining to LGBTQ+ couples can be complex. This is especially true when cases involve family law issues like custody and divorce. Apart from the inherent complexity of these matters, there is also always a degree of emotional involvement.
If you need assistance understanding gay property law or gay adoption law, you need expert advice to explore all your options and to ensure a successful outcome in your case.
Questions about gay family law in Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe and Los Alamos, New Mexico?
Call the Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer at 505-924-1000 to speak with a gay and lesbian rights lawyer today.
If you or a loved one needs legal representation from a law practitioner with a proven track record for resolving complex cases involving LGBTQ+ couples, the Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer is your refuge. Our LGBTQ+ attorneys in Santa Fe and Albuquerque will be more than willing to discuss your case.
Call us at 505-924-1000 today.